Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lessons from the Father

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. (Colossians 3:15)


He teaches me daily. He teaches me through His word, through His holy spirit, through His people. Tonight He taught me through a conversation.

A dear friend of mine named Kristyn brought a delicious meal over for dinner. She was going to drop it off around 6:00, but called Luke in a frantic saying that she was so sorry but it was going to have to be around 7:00. I was not home from Pinecrest yet, so it was no big deal. When she arrived, the house instantly smelled of wonderful stuffed peppers and homemade cookies. She began to tell us the story of why she was late. She started preparing the meal around 2:00....making the cookies and prepping the peppers. She had just finished telling her mother how she was so excited to be giving her best to both God and to our family. Serving wholeheartedly with a joyful spirit. At about 5:45 she began to load everything into the car to bring it over. As she was placing the peppers in, they fell out of her hands and splattered ALL over the car, wall and garage. She was standing in an "un-stuffed pepper" mess. Kristyn was very upset. She ran in the house crying and quickly made a second batch of peppers. As the peppers baked for 45 minutes, she had a little conversation with the Lord. She realized that she had just spoke the words about serving with joy and giving her best, and that the devil was trying everything in his power to take her eyes off of Jesus. She remembered the reason that she was baking this meal in the first place...to be a blessing to our family during this difficult mourning time of Olivianna Grace. She looked at her 1 year old daughter in the playpen, and realized that in that moment, she was given the opportunity to choose life. To choose peace. To choose joy.....self control....integrity. She had to make a choice, will God receive the glory, or will I let the devil receive it. At that moment, she called Luke and told him that she would be late. She continued to prepare the meal with the characteristics of Christ. It was amazing....(and it came with a great story).


The lesson I learned was this:
While Kristyn was standing in our kitchen explaining all of this, Adalin came in with Luke's glasses. The glasses that we just bought last year and that we have tryed so carefully to protect. I had just spoken to Kristyn about our desire to give Christ the glory in all situations, most particularly in Olivianna's life, death, and memory. When Kristyn left the house, Luke explained to me that Adi had somehow severely scratched both lenses and that they would need to be replaced. Instantly I became upset and frustrated at both Luke and Adi. I became rude and my attitude became ugly. I blamed him for leaving them too low. Blamed him for not watching Adi. Blamed him for the fact that now we would have to spend money to repair them.


In my ugliness, Luke came over to me and held me and started to pray. At that very instance, the holy spirit began to minister to my heart. I saw the hypocrisy of my lips, the person looking into the mirror that walks away and forgets what they look like. I saw sin. But more importantly, I saw Christ calling me to choose life. To choose joy...peace...patience...self control...integrity. I saw GRACE!


Thank you Jesus for teaching me to be more like you tonight. You work everything for the good.

You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you. (Isaiah 26:3)

No comments: