Sunday, June 1, 2008

Refiners Fire

I have refined you but not in the way silver is refined. Rather, I have refined you in the furnace of suffering. Isaiah 48:10
An excerpt from The one year book of Hope (by Nancy Guthrie)
In ancient times, a workman would take a piece of ore hewn from the earth, crush it into pieces, and place it in a piece of pottery that he would then thrust into a fire. The refiner carefully tended the fire, knowing just how intense the flame needed to be to soften the ore and cause the impurities to rise to the top so they could be skimmed off, leaving bubbling treasure of molten metal. The refiner was patient, knowing just how long the metal should stay in the fire so that more and more dull impurities would rise to the surface until finally he could look into the liquid silver and see what he had been working for and waiting for-his own reflection.

I, too, am being refined in the fiery crucible of suffering and pain. My Refiner knows just how hot to make the fire so that my impurities will rise to the surface and be lifted away. He desires to remove from my life all that is unfit and impure, transforming me from ordinary ore into a shining treasure. The flames of distress and difficulty are way too hot for my liking, but the refiners fire is not a cause for fear. It burns for my good. The Lord's purpose in plunging me into the fire is to mold me into a vessel that looks and acts like Christ himself.

The only thing that can make what I am going through with Olivianna bearable is for it to result in greater glory to God. That through Olivianna's short life God's glory will shine greater, penetrate deeper and transform the hearts and minds of many of individuals loved and called by God. I pray that I will be radically changed in and through this. That I won't settle any longer for calling myself a "christian." But that I would truly resemble the character of Christ and that my actions will speak much louder than my words. ***My life is an example to many, because YOU have been my strength and protection. Psalm 71:7

Reflections of my day....
Church was very meaningful this morning. It was based on James 4:13-17. Entitled "How do I face an uncertain future?" (Invite God to be a part of your planning process, Live one day at a time, Do something good right now, while you can, set up a plan, stay in the word, step out in faith.)
Luke and I rested this afternoon while Adi was taking a nap!
Our family went for a walk this evening to the park. We took some fun pictures of Adi and Olivianna on the swings! We all had a wonderful time!

I made oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert (actually for dinner).
I praised the Lord for my family and for refining us in His amazing power.

No comments: