Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Christ's Faithfulness

"Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it." The One who calls me to a life of righteousness is the One who by my consent lives that life of righteousness through me. The One who calls me to minister to the needs of humanity is the One who by my consent ministers to the needs of humanity through me. The One who calls me to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature, is the One who by my consent , goes into all the worlds and preaches the gospel to every creature through me.

This is the divine genius that saves a man from futility of self-effort. If it were not for this divine provision, the call to Christ would be a source of utter frustration, presenting the sorry spectacle of a sincere idealist, constantly thwarted by his own inadequacy. (Exert from The Saving Life of Christ by Major W. Ian Thomas)


I read this last night before bed. The Lord knows my fears and my insecurities.
This morning I lead my first MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) steering team meeting and was quite nervous about it. Will I be organized enough...will they think I am "too young,"...will I be a confident speaker and leader...what if I say something wrong or forget an important issue....and on and on....and on.

While reading this, the holy spirit reminded me that I must simply trust in Christ alone. I must trust that He wants to live through me, and that if I allow Him to, every step I make will be taken with the very energy and power of God Almighty. I can be dependent completely on Him, and not worry about my many weaknesses, imperfections and the overwhelming "self-distrust" that often paralyzes my actions.
But how do I personally do this? How do I release my need to control and my independent spirit?

Practically....I must submit through prayer all of the craziness that goes on in my head to Him.
I must study His word and His life. I must imitate it.
I must listen...and fight the desire to do all of the talking.
I must obey...even when it feels completely unnatural, un-fun, or unfair!
I must love. Love God, Love others (especially those that might not be easy to love)
I must be thankful.
I must die to my flesh.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it." Mark 8:34-35


This is truth directly from the lips of Jesus. Not a suggestion. He is telling me.."Amber, your cross will look different then others, look straight ahead. Do not look to the side, do not compare, have faith in Me that I will be walking with you. I will even carry you at times. I will ask you to do things for My glory, things that you might not want to do...or things you think you can't do, but I will give you what you need to do them. I will supply the power, the confidence, and the ability....but you must have faith and follow me. Desire my ways for your life. They are good, they are loving and they will save your soul."

Although my flesh tells me otherwise, I truly desire to die to self and live for Christ.


On a different note....
We leave for Hawaii in less then two weeks. Praise the Lord!

We are so excited to go and are in need of a week alone! I thought I would dress Adi up to get me even more pumped...she wasn't so sure why I was putting grass on her! (Auntie Heather and Uncle Mark bought this for her when they went to Hawaii in June)



If anyone has any suggestions for some "fun" things to do on Maui, let me know. "Maui is for lovers...RIGHT????"


Until the next time I have the need to put my thoughts into writing...
Christ be lifted High!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amber....You're going to Maui, how exciting!! I don't know if you've been to Maui before, but one thing you have to do is eat at the Hula Grill in Lahaina. We went so many times when we were there a few years ago. Its so fun because the tables are right on the sand and you can just run your toes through the sand while you have dinner. We loved it!! Have a wonderful time!
Carla Sauer