Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What a whirlwind.
Luke and spent the night in San Francisco on Sunday night (stayed at the Carl Hotel) because we had a full day of testing at UCSF on Monday. We arrived for an ultrasound at 9:00, which lasted 2 hours. Dr. Goldstein performed the ultrasound. At 11:30 we met with Dr. Lee up in an open office. This is where reality really set in. He was very blunt. Very serious. He told me that there is less than a 5% chance of survival. That her condition is so severe. That we should do nothing to try and help her after birth. He told us several options, one being to terminate life.
HOW COULD I EVER CHOOSE TO TERMINATE A CHILD'S LIFE. I HAVE SEEN HER MOVE INSIDE OF ME MANY TIMES NOW...I FEEL HER...I KNOW HER. SHE IS MY BABY. MY FLESH AND BLOOD, A PART OF LUKE AND I...CREATED BY GOD ALMIGHTY.
I made it very clear to him that abortion was not an option. NO WAY.
At 3 p.m we had a Fetal Echo exam. This lasted a little over an hour. The technician that performed it was extremely rough on me. I could almost not stand it, and finally told him that he was making me very nervous. He brought Theresa Tacy (the associate professor of clinical pediatrics) into the room. She was much more enjoyable. They finished the testing, and told us to call it a day.
WE WERE EXHAUSTED.
WE WENT AND GOT SOME COFFEE WITH OUR MOMS, AND CRIED OUR WAY BACK TO MODESTO.

There is one amazing thing about today. I met a friend. Her name is Rachel Perry. She was our amazing nurse for the day. I can't really explain it, but she truly was like a ray of hope and peace all throughout the day. Her gentle voice and compassion spoke volumes to Luke and I.
God knew that we needed her to be there for us today.

No comments: